All job seekers
About this event
Getting your foot in the door of the competitive technology industry isn't easy. That's why we have put together a series of presentations to share some useful tips to help you make a great first impression and give yourself the best chance to shine.
- Hayley Hewitt – People Experience Manager
- Emma Evans – People and Culture Advisor
- Rick Measham – Lead Developer
- Chris D'Aloisio – Head of Technology
- Lincoln Le – Senior Developer
- Jimit Rajani – Developer
- Hosted by Debra Cupitt – Developer
What we'll cover
This is an hour and a half long webinar where we will cover the common aspects of the recruitment process for a technology company, and how you can prepare for them and tackle them with confidence.
At Portable we have a pretty thorough hiring process to ensure that each person we hire is an excellent match for us, and us for them.
We'll cover the following topics:
- Cover letters and making a great first impression
- Job interview techniques and asking good questions
- The code test and pair programming
- Psychometric testing
- Stories from people who have been through the process
About our speakers
Hayley is the first point of contact for most people who apply for a job at Portable. She is Portable's People Experience Manager and does the initial reviews of people's applications including their resumes and cover letters, and conducts the first interview with applicants.
Emma is a People and Culture Advisor at Portable and is involved in refining Portable recruitment processes, as well as interviewing applicants.
Rick is a Lead developer at Portable and is involved in reviewing applications for Technology positions, as well as conducting code tests and interviews.
Chris is the Head of Technology at Portable and assists with these things too, as well as conducting senior leadership team interviews.
Lincoln and Jimit are developers in the technology team and joined the team in the past 6 months. They will be sharing their experience from the applicant's perspective and what they learned during the recruitment process.
Deb is a developer at Portable too and she will be hosting the event.
Who is it for?
This session is designed for the following audience:
- Developers and technologists looking to land their first, or a new, job in the technology sector
- job seekers looking for agency work – there will be many general tips and insights that will be useful in helping you to understand recruitment and interview processes, and how to avoid common mistakes.
14th October, 2021
5pm – 6:30pm AEST
A link to join the webinar will be provided to registered participants via email on 14th October, 2021.
After the 75 minute presentation, attendees will be invited to stay for a Q&A session with the panellists for up to 15 mins, and a recording of the webinar will be distributed to all registered participants in the days after the event.
What if I can't make it?
You're in luck. This webinar will be recorded and published as a video on the Portable website at a later date.
If you cannot make this event but would like to know when the video recording goes live, you can register for the ‘Send me the video' option in the registration section.
Date: Thursday, October 14, 2021
Time: 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Timezone: UTC+11 (check your local time here)
Registration required? Yes
Full event details: How to land your first tech job
🚩 Event category:
How did it go? Tell us. Leave a comment below.