Subscribe to JobMob® and Download The Ultimate Twitter Job Search Guide
Easily save it as a PDF or print for daily use
See ‘intellectual dishonesty' if you think this list isn't for you.
And that's not a bad thing, it means there's still room to grow.
In no specific order…
1) No plan – lack of a chosen, designed branding plan to follow, including online and offline strategies
2) No tracking – not measuring your branding activities i.e. never knowing how well you're following that plan
3) No intellectual honesty – such as misreporting numbers to make it appear as if your plan is on track
4) No honesty in general – perhaps in making promises you can't keep
5) Too self-serving – it's always about you and your projects
6) Appearing too self-serving – just as bad
7) Entitlement – feeling entitled to success and acting like it
8) Lack of foresight – impatience with branding tactics before they can succeed
9) No execution – over-reliance on past achievements
10) Poor execution – overly slow progress towards new achievements
11) Too modest – waiting too long to brand yourself as a mentor or expert
12) Not authentic – not practicing what you preach
13) Phony – not even being able to demonstrate what you preach
14) Poor decision-making – such as choosing the wrong niche to brand yourself in
15) Poor self-evaluation – taking too long to realize you're in the wrong niche
16) Wasting time – branding yourself in unrelated niches
17) Not creative – branding yourself with your job title
18) Too lazy – adopting a copycat or generic brand
19) No self-confidence – lacking personality possibly due to fear of exposure or vulnerability
20) Immoral – caught publicly doing something inappropriate, especially if you have role model status or aspire to
21) Unfocused – having a seemingly random web presence
22) Unprofessional – failing to check the quality of your content
23) Not up-to-date – not owning your personal domain name
24) Being a mooch – asking too much of your contact network
25) Too selfish – not giving enough back to your contact network
26) Not listening – not having profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter and any other social websites critical to your niche
27) Poor social media management – such as having too many social profiles to manage or not keeping those profiles updated
28) Poor personal management – e.g. resulting in being late
29) Poor network management – such as spending too much time with people who only take and not enough time with people who can give
30) Poor brand management – such as not recognizing any of the other errors in this list and then taking corrective action
How have you recovered from one of these branding mistakes? Tell us in the comments.
I originally published a version of this article on the terrific Personal Branding Blog.
If you liked this list, you'll also enjoy my 5 Personal Branding Mistakes That Could Ruin Your Brand.
Job Search Expert, Professional Blogger, Creative Thinker, Community Builder with a sense of humor. I like to help people.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.